Friday, July 12, 2013

Thick As A Brick In The Wall

About a week ago I woke from a dream with the idea to play Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick" over the 1982 film "The Wall". I gave it a shot and was amazed at how thematically similar the pieces were (in ways I never consciously thought about before) but the music and images weren't doing much for me as a pair. I let it run for a little bit and noticed that a newspaper appears on screen (at roughly 9 minutes and 10 seconds into the film) and that the Thick As A Brick album cover is a newspaper. So, I re-started the album from that starting point and the results were amazing.
The sync stays pristine for the full first side of the album then tappers off. However, it turns out that Ian Anderson (lead of Jethro Tull) made a sequel album called "Thick as a Brick 2" in 2012. Interestingly, he starts this sequel album the exact same way he started the B-side of the original album, synchronistically telling me that I could substitute the original B-side with this new album. Doing so, then starting the original B-side when the 2012 sequel is finished, brings the total audio about 10 minutes over the film. So, since I started 9+ minutes late (where the newspaper comes in), I threw that over the beginning. A strange sort of dream logic to be sure, but I think the result speaks for itself. Here it is:




No comments:

Post a Comment